Monday, March 19, 2012

preparation for the DW

Chris Allix is preparing for his second entry at the Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race this Easter.
 Chris has been training with Adventurous Experiences since his first session on 30th June 2010.

Chris joined the Adventure Club, having already set his sights on paddling from the Isle of Man to Monaco.
The daunting 'DW' represents one of the toughest challenges in kayak racing.
After initial setbacks in 2011, Chris is using the DW as benchmark to his paddle fitness, prior to setting off on his epic paddle to Monaco this summer.
Having set realistic goals on his progressive learning program, Chris is on track to achieve his dream. Everyone in the Club is behind you on this one! If you see Chris on the water, please give him a cheer : )
Keirron

ps. Chris's returned last week form one of his recent pre-DW training trips;

"When I originally planned this trip I expected to paddle from Ellesmere Port to Wolverhampton the length of the Shropshire Canal, but on detailed planning I noticed this was shorter than I had thought and therefore decided to continue through the Birmingham Navigation System and see how far I could get,  hoping reach the Oxford Canal. I guess I got carried away and reached Oxford itself."

"This trip has covered approximately 200 miles in 5 days although I skipped about 25 miles of portages. I believe this trip has helped both the Man to Monaco project  and next month’s Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race which hopefully I will be able to complete this year."

"Each canal has had its own characteristics, the Shropshire was very picturesque, the Wolverhampton was more industrialised but still had many scenic areas, the Grand Union was generally very industrialised and the Oxford started very agricultural but before it reached Oxford changed to very picturesque. I am really looking forward to revisiting these canals in June/July on the Man to Monaco trip."

No comments: